Lack of boost

L67 supercharged talk about modification, how to for making your car greater!

Moderator: sandman1

Lack of boost

Postby sandman1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:00 am

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP stock and my buddy has same thing only a 98. We both floor it n his boost hits max immediately while im lucky to ever hit half boost. What's wrong with my car?
If your not living on the edge , your taking up to much space!
sandman1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Lack of boost

Postby 1fast99GTP » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 am

It could be a faulty boost control solenoid mine failed once and all I was getting was about 5psi (half boost) I bypassed mine and I get all 10 psi now here is a pic of it also check your vacuum lines and the <span id="intelliTXT"><span id="ctl00_ctl07_ctl00_LabelPhotoCaption">boost bypass actuator and make sure when you rev it (WOT) it should touch the stud under it if not you can try to adjust it by losing the 2 10mm bolts and moving it down and tightening back up
ImageImage
</span></span>
My Garage>>http://www.gtpworld.net/garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_own_vehicle&CID=3
Site Moderator

WHAT I SAY DOES NOT REFLECT ON THE MEMBERS OR THIS SITE AND THE SITE HOLDS NO RESPONSIBILITY
99 Silvermist GTP, Fastest GP in CO known Mods so far >>Headers, S3-Ported Heads,LS6 Yellow valve springs, Ported TB ,S1x Cam , Sprint racing Lowering Springs ,DHP Powertuner, Custom-Tuned PCM for E85, 3" Hollow Cat 3" full cat back to Y pipe then 2.5" out ,65# Injectors, 2.8 Pulley,NGK TR6,180* Drilled Tstat ,4" Fenderwell CAI, K&N Air filter,Rims>MC2 FZ16 19X8 With Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245-40ZR19 192Kmiles!! 6000K HIDs 3K HIDs in the fogs and a 03LEGTP Spoiler,01 75th anniversary Seats,Black Crystal Headlights!AND ZEX dry kit 1/4 mile 12.7s @ 107.99 on a 35 shot HERE in Denver Co With a 8500Ft DA**WITH NO IC OR GEN 5
1fast99GTP
GTP World Respected Scientist (1900 Club)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Lack of boost

Postby DarkRelic » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:30 am

you could also have some belt slipping issues, or a vaccum leak.
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
3.4"pulley Gen V, SLP RR, SLP Headers/Cat-Back, ZZP PCM, Eibach/AGX suspension, GMPP full upgrade kit, GMPP rear STB, WBS Perf. control arms (all 4 corners), TEP 3.29 transmission, F-Body Brakes, Modified Projector Headlights, CAI, 180*therm, AL104, WBS OS Radiator, 18x7.5" Verde Protocol Wheels
DarkRelic
GTP World Janitor (3000 Club)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Lack of boost

Postby sandman1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:33 am

i jus changed the serpentine belt so i doubt thats the problem but a vacuum leak? sorry for not knowing shit lol but where is that located? and thanks for help so far today after work im changing SC oil then trying the boost bypass thing
sandman1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Lack of boost

Postby Gibby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:01 pm

I know it seems stupid, but you may want to make sure the auto parts store gave you the correct belt size..a new larger belt could still cause slippage. This is the belt you want.. Goodyear Gatorback Supercharge Poly V Belt (for 3.4" - 3.25" Pulley, this belt will work for stock 3.8 as well) 4060660. As far as vacuum leaks, you just need to check all your vacuum lines. There is a vacuum line routing diagram on the underneath side of the hood, just follow your vacuum lines out and look for any cracked or worn/unplugged elbows or vacuum T's...
gtpforever wrote:Now I know you live in Cali so thats complicates things for you compared to the rest of us who live where we have rights

NIC cam, tuned by me. Best time of 13.35 @107. Cant keep tires from spinning during WOT shifts, need slicks.
Gibby
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Lack of boost

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:35 pm

You said that you changed the belt, but what about the tensioner? If it is wore out then the belt will still be loose.
2000 Daytona GTP
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Lack of boost

Postby footballplaya3k » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:31 am

Did you make sure the belt isn't loose. I had a similar problem. My idler pulley had come off so the SC belt was loose and I was loosing a lot of power. Check to make sure your belt is tight, and the tensioner should still have some room to tighten too. Look at your pulley diagram and make sure your belt is going to all the pulleys correctly
David

Old. 98 GTP Coupe- L32, Gen V, IC, Headers, 3.2" 13.7 @ 104.

New. '08 Cobalt SS/TC Rally Yellow ~300WHP
K&N SRI, ZZP 3" Catless DP, MPX 3" Catback w/o muffler, 23 PSI Trifecta ECP Tune, ZZP FMIC, Injen Upper CP, ZZP Lower CP, GMPP Clutch, HKS SSQV, Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers, TWM Shifter, Carbon Fiber Hood and Trunk, Buyhids Retrofits, Powell Air/Oil Separator
footballplaya3k
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Lack of boost

Postby 1fast99GTP » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:41 am

Please let us know what you find, and just try to bypass the boost control solenoid you will see where the hose gos in to the boost control solenoid and then you have another hose that is on the back that gos to your <span id="intelliTXT"><span id="ctl00_ctl07_ctl00_LabelPhotoCaption">boost bypass actuator</span></span>,right above is a piece of foam that covers the other nipple remove that and move the hose to that port and go test drive it, it worked for me man, good luck .
My Garage>>http://www.gtpworld.net/garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_own_vehicle&CID=3
Site Moderator

WHAT I SAY DOES NOT REFLECT ON THE MEMBERS OR THIS SITE AND THE SITE HOLDS NO RESPONSIBILITY
99 Silvermist GTP, Fastest GP in CO known Mods so far >>Headers, S3-Ported Heads,LS6 Yellow valve springs, Ported TB ,S1x Cam , Sprint racing Lowering Springs ,DHP Powertuner, Custom-Tuned PCM for E85, 3" Hollow Cat 3" full cat back to Y pipe then 2.5" out ,65# Injectors, 2.8 Pulley,NGK TR6,180* Drilled Tstat ,4" Fenderwell CAI, K&N Air filter,Rims>MC2 FZ16 19X8 With Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245-40ZR19 192Kmiles!! 6000K HIDs 3K HIDs in the fogs and a 03LEGTP Spoiler,01 75th anniversary Seats,Black Crystal Headlights!AND ZEX dry kit 1/4 mile 12.7s @ 107.99 on a 35 shot HERE in Denver Co With a 8500Ft DA**WITH NO IC OR GEN 5
1fast99GTP

Lack of boost

Postby gtpforever » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:45 am

I am surprised that no one has asked these couple of things like,............. Are either of you modded in any way? Cause he could have a smaller pulley and you could be stock. LOL! Or how about one of you could have the so called BBV mod where the bolts have been loosened and the the BBV has been pushed down. If this is the case then both of you should make sure that the BBV is sitting right in the middle and no where else cause this mod has been found faulty. LOL!
Now fixing....1998 Silvermist GTP with about 182,000 miles! Dead till fixed!!!!
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Image <<<<<Its BACK so watch out!
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Lack of boost

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:01 pm

davemeradith wrote:I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP stock and my buddy has same thing only a 98. We both floor it n his boost hits max immediately while im lucky to ever hit half boost. What's wrong with my car?
GTPForever, in the first post here it is stated that the GTP is stock...
2000 Daytona GTP
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Lack of boost

Postby sandman1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:11 pm

the black piece is already sitting on the metal piece. does this mean the previous owner already tried this before me or is it supposed to be sitting on that plate and the whole thing moves?
sandman1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Lack of boost

Postby gtpforever » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:34 pm

Arkanzan Wheeler wrote:
davemeradith wrote:I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP stock and my buddy has same thing only a 98. We both floor it n his boost hits max immediately while im lucky to ever hit half boost. What's wrong with my car?
GTPForever, in the first post here it is stated that the GTP is stock...

Yeah but how many times have we had people here that say it is stock but it just a guy who doesn't realize that the car has had some work. I mean a previous owner could have put a press on pulley on the car to keep it looking stock ya just never know. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img] Plus the BBV mod is not anything that "Joe Shmo" off the street will see has been done. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/img]
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Lack of boost

Postby DarkRelic » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:43 pm

<p>with the engine not running it rests on the stop "black piece". Run the engine and it should move. You are just checking that when you open the throttle up to full you get full actuation from one stop to the next on your BBV.</p> <p>As far as vaccum leaks, you would know by not getting full boost on your boost gauge. The most common place for vaccum leaks starts just underneath the supercharger snout from a "T" fitting. Follow that around to the back of the engine and it should lead you to a cracked rubber line. Most commonly the leaks are along this line to cause problems boost problems. It would even cause studdering acceloration problems if it was completely off.</p> <p>Image

This is a pic from when I made a "how to" for an aftermarket boost gauge install. I hope it helps.</p>
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
3.4"pulley Gen V, SLP RR, SLP Headers/Cat-Back, ZZP PCM, Eibach/AGX suspension, GMPP full upgrade kit, GMPP rear STB, WBS Perf. control arms (all 4 corners), TEP 3.29 transmission, F-Body Brakes, Modified Projector Headlights, CAI, 180*therm, AL104, WBS OS Radiator, 18x7.5" Verde Protocol Wheels
DarkRelic
GTP World Janitor (3000 Club)

Lack of boost

Postby 1fast99GTP » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:15 am

<div> <div>
I am surprised that no one has asked these couple of things like,............. Are either of you modded in any way? Cause he could have a smaller pulley and you could be stock. LOL! Or how about one of you could have the so called BBV mod where the bolts have been loosened and the the BBV has been pushed down. If this is the case then both of you should make sure that the BBV is sitting right in the middle and no where else cause this mod has been found faulty. LOL!
Stock it should fill the boost display on the DIC or all but 1 at least they will up here at 5,280 feet so there it should to ,I should of asked if it fills the display or how much I have a 3.4 and when my boost control solenoid went bad with a 3.4 it went only half way on my Display I by passed it and its fine now I also have a boost gauge and it was only hitting 5 6 psi and when I bypassed it it was at 10 psi </div> </div>
Site Moderator

1fast99GTP

Lack of boost

Postby gtpforever » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:00 am

1fast99GTP wrote:<div> <div>
Stock it should fill the boost display on the DIC or all but 1 at least they will up here at 5,280 feet so there it should to ,I should of asked if it fills the display or how much I have a 3.4 and when my boost control solenoid went bad with a 3.4 it went only half way on my Display I by passed it and its fine now I also have a boost gauge and it was only hitting 5 6 psi and when I bypassed it it was at 10 psi </div> </div>

But this is what I have been saying, it would not go full boost on the DIC if it has had the BBV mod messed with in the wrong way. The BBV being messed with with do some crazy stuff to the boost. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif[/img]

To the person who started the thread, could you please take a pic of the BBV and get at good of a pic of where it is bolted as you can to show is that it is not the BBV's location that is causing the boost issue you are speaking of. If it is in the wrong spot we can fix this fast. LOL! If not then we know to look else where. Always go for the cheap and easy fixes before needing to go after the other things. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Next

Return to W-body HorsePower Talk